Skip to content ↓

What does all the jargon mean?

Please see below the different words and abbreviations that we use in school:

  • SEND - Special Educational Needs and Disability
  • SEN -  Special Educational Needs
  • SENCo - Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator, the person in school responsible for managing SEND
  • Individual Support Plan - Individual Education Plans for children on SEN register
  • Outside Agencies - Any professional from an agency or service who provides advice to the school and family
  • Transitions - A change or transfer from one school or class to another
  • Provision - Any extra help, support or equipment that a child receives
  • Statement - A document provided by the Local Authority which outlines a child's special educational needs and the support that they need
  • Education, Health and Care Plans - From September 2014, these will replace Statements - see above
  • Health Care Plan - This is a document which describes any significant medical conditions that a child may have which requires special medication or adjustments.  The plan outlines the child's needs and what needs to be put in place to support them.  It is then shared with all those staff supporting the child.
  • De-escalation Plan - This is a plan which outlines any behavioural difficulties and how to support the child.  It is then shared with all those staff supporting the child.